Nov 9, 2010

Perfect LGD (Little Grey Dress)

So I decided to sew.

How did I get myself here again? Long story.

First project, a voodoo bunny doll as pin cushion.

Hi, I'm a love-struck bunny with no tail and longer-than-usual arms.

Yes, it was meant to look butt-ugly by the way.


The first project was pretty smooth sailing. Took me only a whole day from designing to its completion. For a newbie like me, it was like a turbo-confidence-booster. So I thought, what the hell, time to move on to the big league.

I'm going to sew myself a dress. Got myself a pattern that has the label 'Easy' on it. Easy. The designers at the Project Runway created and completed a whole new look in 5 hours, so I figured my first dress will probably take me about 3-4 days to sew. A week, at most.

The label cheated. It was far from easy. Easy for a pro, yes, but not for a beginner. I had to google everything. How do people actually live before google?

Bear in mind, I had no input whatsoever in sewing during my upbringing. My household didn't include a sewing machine, or a sewing mom in that case (sorry mom, I love you no matter what). Adding to that, the book 'Sewing For Dummies' I ordered took 3 frigging weeks to arrive.

Unlike the first time, this time it was a pretty bumpy road with lots of dead ends, requiring lots of U-turns.

It chose this pattern because I love the silhouette. My goal is to make a simple no-fuss A-line dress that fits me to a T. This dress has a 60s mod feel to it, which I love. The fabric that I chose is a knit (first mistake, more on that later). I chose it mainly because of the simplicity of the colour. It also looks very classy. Reminds me of an impeccably done female attorney who commands attention. I've thought of a sexy secretary but that's pretty kinky la pulak.

The dress was supposed to turn out like the picture.

Burda 7598 Pattern

Cutting out the required pieces.

Here's the current state of the dress :


Almost done. Save for the seams finishing. I was pretty excited to try it on, but...this dress makes me look like I have weird lumps in my armpits. I blame it on the french seams I did because I was too lazy to send the fabric for overcasting. The seams look bulky especially at the sleeves because two sets of seams meet there.

I need all the luck that the universe could gather for me to make the dress work. Like Mrs Beckham's.

Will update on the progress soon. Hope there'll be happy news!

No comments:

Post a Comment